Friday, January 05, 2007

What is our potential?


I have engaged in dialogue with a few other bloggers recently regarding human potential, creativity and how we attempt to reach our potential.

Coincidentally, I have just begun reading a book called How to Think like Leonardo da Vinci by Michael J. Gelb.


So far, this book has pointed several interesting facts. The following has been paraphrased from the Introduction of the book.

Most people believe intelligence can be evaluated with an IQ test and that intelligence potential is fixed at birth.

However, recent studies have shown that only 48 percent of IQ can be attributed to genes. 52 percent is based on prenatal care, environment and education.

The second weakness in IQ evaluation is that verbal and mathmatical reasoning skills measured by IQ tests (and SAT's) are the sine qua nons of intelligence. This narrow view of intelligence has been debunked by contemporary phsycological research.

At least 7 measurable intelligences have been identified:
  • Logical-Mathmatical
  • Verbal-Linguistic
  • Spatial-Mechanical
  • Musical
  • Bodily-Kinesthetic
  • Interpersonal-Social
  • Interpersonal (Self Knowledge)
Your brain is much better than you think. Contemplate the following:your brain
  • is more flexible and multidimensional than any supercomputer.
  • can learn seven facts per second, every second, for the rest of your life and still have plenty of room left to learn more.
  • will improve with age if you use it properly.
  • is not just in your head. Intelligence is located not only in the brain but in cells that are distributed throughtou the body...The traditional separation of mental processes, including emotions, from the body is no longer valid.
  • is unique. Of the six billion people currently living and the more than ninety billion people who have ever lived, there has never, unless you are an identical twin, been anyone quite like you. Your creative gifts, your fingerprints, your expressions, your DNA, your dreams, are unprecedented and unique.
  • is capable of making a virtually unlimited number of synaptic connections or potential patterns of thought.
Our nuerons are capable of making increasingly complex new connections throughout our lives. And, our nuronal endowment is so great that, even if we lost a thousand brain cells everyday for the rest of our lives, it would still be less than 1 percent of our total.

Pyotr Anokhin of Moscow University proclaims that no man or woman, past or present, has fully explored the capacities of the brain.

As I continue to make my way through this book, I will try to pass along more, but to get the full picture it would be best to read it yourself.

Michael J. Gelb has worked with executives and Dupont, Merck, Microsoft and Nike and has written a companion to this book called the How to think like da Vinci Workbook.

5 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

I've long been a critic of IQ. The seven kinds of intelligence is a step forward, but even those are the result of someone's idea of what is important---or are they? You say they have been "identified"---as different kinds of brain function?

A realistic way of assessing intelligence would be based on capability for survival in the world. Even for animals this would be complex as there are so many possible threats. In the human arena it is huge. Many comedians have said their skill started in school yard to prevent being bullied, so a comic talent could on my reckoning be one kind of intelligence. But perhaps there is no identifiable part of the brain for humour.

I don't like the title of the book you are reading: everyone has a different brain and should learn to think like himself. I could imagine the author telling the publisher this and being overruled: "We'll sell more if there is a catchy title!"

I've just written a "manifesto" about how compromise is the enemy of spirit.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Charles Bergeman said...

Using your premise that intelligence is based on survival capabilities, I would guess that measures of intelligence would evolve as we do to adjust to our circumstances.

That is a reasonable tact to take when trying to understand the triggers that unleash our genius potential.

But perhaps there are other means of triggering this potential than threats to our survival.

I have long been an admirer of Leonardo. That is what led me to take a closer look at this book.

So, in that respect, the title was effective in selling the book to me. This book was a bestseller in 1998.

There would be no practical way to write a book about unleashing human potential customized for each individual. Assuming we can overcome that limitation with a more general approach, I intend to give this book a chance to see if there is any merit to his 7 steps.

He does acknowledge that all of us are unique, so perhaps he takes that into account.

Thanks for the feedback.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

I have long been an admirer of Leonardo too, or rather I used to be. He got squeezed out of my current interests a bit, mainly because of his theories of art which I felt had nothing much to say to us today.

"There would be no practical way to write a book about unleashing human potential customized for each individual."

Quite so! This is a lesson which I am taking to heart because I think my own blog is a kind of sketch or cartoon (in the old sense) for a book which would address the unleashing of potential without ever giving advice on the subject, because i believe that in such important subjects we need to progress without the aid of a book. Yes, I know there is a paradox here!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Dr.Alistair said...

the barrier to functional intelligence is emotional. until we learn to resist the urge to react to challenges we will forever be held prisoner to our emotions.

some of the most intelligent people i know are basket cases when it comes to emotions. they have been rewarded in the educational way with degrees and can regurgitate facts but when it comes to thier feelings they are like a ship without a sail.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Charles Bergeman said...

Dr.

We're not Vulcans, so I guess the potential you speak of can never be attained.

However, I will not let that stop me from trying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home