Saturday, January 13, 2007

Captalism and Competition in a Laissez Faire Economy


I was inspired to write this post after reading Science, Science Fiction, Paranoia and Politics" on the Blog Notes from Freyashawk and manipulation on the blog hypgnosys.

The War on Terrorism and specifically the occupation of Iraq has been a great distraction from other important changes in our society that have resulted from policies instituted by the Bush Administration.

Several years of de-regulation and new policies have thrown the advantage to corporate executives vs. rank and file employees and consumers. The way that companies compete and the products we see in the market place have undergone great change.

The media began an evolution even before this administration came into office. However, the differences today are so drastically different than what I had been used to growing up, that I can barely recognize it anymore.

The major difference is in the area of competition and the methods used by networks to keep your eyes and ears glued to their media stream. This has had many effects on not only the way the message is conveyed, but also, the content of the message as well.

Remote controls, Tivo, DVR, Cable, Satellite, HD, On Demand, podcasting, mobile TV, and alternate media from the Internet have changed the mechanics of delivering and consuming media.

The challenge for media producers and those who have develop and maintain the delivery channels is to retain a consistent profit margin that supports the infrastructure, salaries, and benefits for all their employees as well as the massive compensation for corporate executives.

They have eliminated much of the competition, by corporate takeovers, consolidation and syndication of content.

Well enough history, let's dig into the end product.

The result is competition for our attention. They understand that they need to be quick and that we will turn away if we are not immediately curious about what the rest of the story is.

The more compelling they can make the story the better. Thoughtful, slow build up of a story, even if the message is important, is not likely to capture our interest quickly enough to keep us with them.

So, they often exaggerate the importance or even mislead us as to the true nature of the story in order to generate interest. So often the opening of a story will indicate that some fearful event has taken place, only to find out later that it was all a misunderstanding or that no danger is immanent.

And yet, we often remember the initial fear more than we do the final result of the story. And our minds collect the frequent scares as a sign of immanent danger, rather than a collection of false alarms.

Another technique is to stretch out the story of the course of a program, by telling it in small snippets or previews. Sometimes this is done in such a way that by the time the actual story is told in it's entirety, you have heard all of it. This can be quite frustrating as you are led to believe there is more to it and it is worth waiting to hear the whole thing.

There was a time when news anchors always wrote the stories they told, and news reporters sought out stories through in depth investigations. Stories may have been researched for a long time before they were told on air. This resulted in a wide variety of topics for news. You could expect variations in news reporting across networks. Today, the same stories are told with little variation in the depth of the investigation into the facts of the stories.

I could go on and on with examples, but you all know what I am talking about.

I often wonder what would happen if a network was started that contained nothing but thoughtful, well researched programming. They do exist, but they are not mainstream. The History channel, and C-SPAN are good examples. However, they are not the norm.

We need to have media outlets that don't preach to the lowest common denominator in terms of an audience. We are not all sheep, or dolts. We have hungry brains that need a diet that provides good nutrition. Lately, we are more likely to get junk food.

2 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

Recently I've been pondering on this kind of topic too and reached the conclusion that all successful trade is based on symbiosis: the bee and the flower depend on one another completely.

But then you get "manipulation" meaning that the supply side of the equation gets too powerful, setting the agenda and influencing culture to the point where it can almost dictate the consumer's needs.

There is a reverse process via the internet where people power is stronger however. The music industry that used to dominate musicians and the public with vinyl and now CD format is now suffering from the trading in .mp3---I buy music now from a Russian site which probably does not pay its share of royalties, but I would not buy it at all if it weren't so cheap. Youtube is another phenomenon, and so of course are blogs.

It's imaginable that technology can make us more independent of corporations in other spheres too, outside of the internet, for example people might generate electricity from scavenged garbage. Fairtrade products if demanded enough, and farmers markets for local produce could force supermarket chains to behave differently etc etc. I think that TV commercials are well aware of the possibilities of people-power and do their damnedest to keep viewers in a state of perpetual infancy, hooked on a range of happy-toys---except that it's not a co-ordinated conspiracy at all, but the playing out of capitalism and competition and the laissez-faire economy.

Sorry to be so prolix, but can you answer me a question, perhaps in a blog post, because I believe it to be important? How did the fear of the evil Communists come about at the end of WWII? The Russians were gallant allies, then all of a sudden they were the antichrist, together with the regimes in China, Cuba, North Korea, North Vietnam etc. And McCarthyism in Hollywood and elsewhere.

How come it was considered such a threat that everyone believed it, apart from the Ban-the-Bombers obviously? I was about 9 in the Korean War. You take all those things for granted. It was something to do with a domino theory, that they would take over the whole world?

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Charles Bergeman said...

Yves, I always appreciate your thoughtful contributions to dialogue.

I will likely add several posts dirived from these posts covering the following:

- Consumer demand vs. the products we see on the shelves. I think there is a disconnect here.

- Advertising dollars that drive media content.

- Fear as a tool to manipulate the masses.

- Intentional mis-direction and avoidance of issues by Politicians.

I will say that it was my intention with this Blog, to avoid discussing my concerns with the current state of affairs. Rather, I wanted to focus on a vision for the future.

In fact, I think, to a large degree, the current state of affairs is fundamentally flawed.

We have constructed foundation for our society that is based on building blocks from the past.

Much of what we take for granted as a necessary component of our infrastructure, methods, and goals are either no longer relevent, or in pursuit of goals that are not in our own best interest.

I think it is time to begin looking for a new way of living. I think it is the role of all who consider themselves Philosophers of sorts, to begin a dialogue around this vision.

I will be developing topics that I hope will trigger discussion along these lines in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home