Friday, July 06, 2007

This is a photo of me when I was about 4 years old.

Following Vincent's lead, I will relate a short story from my childhood. My story is not nearly as interesting, but there may be some entertainment value, none the less.

Not long after this photo was taken, I broke my arm after falling from that slide.

My Dad worked for a fence installation company. He had recently been given a Manager position (which he hated), and as a benefit, been given a big discount on the purchase of this swing set, which they sold, along with Fencing.

Mom was usually busy looking after my infant brother. My sister and I would play in the yard, or at neighbors houses nearby. This was in the day when parents didn't worry about letting their young kids loose in the neighborhood, and it was encouraged as long as we stayed nearby.

I had been given a set of plastic bowling pins and bowling ball for my Birthday. I was playing with them by myself on our driveway, when it occurred to me that the slide would make a fine bowling alley.

The only problem was, how to get 10 pins set up at the top of the slide, so that I could then return to the bottom and roll the ball up the slide to hit the pins.

I gathered the 10 pins in my arms. No small feat that. And began a long arduous climb up the ladder. I reached the top and attempted to lift the pins onto the narrow ledge at the top, when I fell over backwards. I landed awkwardly on my arm, and it hurt - a lot.

Of course I went screaming in to my Mom who was busy quelling the screams of my little brother. My mother was well meaning, but poorly equipped for the job of parenting 3 young kids. In particular a young boy like myself with curious ideas, and no fear of heights.

Mom was upset at my Father for installing that "monstrosity" and always worried that one of us would be hurt while using it. She was vindicated, and took me right away to the Doctor to get evidence of the damage to show Dad.

Much to my Mother's chagrin, the Doctor told her it was just bruised and it should be ok in a week or so. He probably was led to that conclusion, because I was intimidated by the Doctor and shy about saying anything about how it felt.

2 weeks later, I was still complaining about my arm. Mom took me back to the Doctor and sure enough, he X-Rayed the arm and discovered it was broken. So with a new cast, I returned home.

I remember loving that cast. I liked drawing on it and all the attention I got from it. Hard to be noticed among the other kids, all the focus on my infant brother and all.

The Swing set stayed, my Dad (along with my Sister and I) won the battle of wills. But I wasn't allowed to take the bowling pins outside anymore.

2 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

More, dear Charles! And thanks for your too-generous comments on mine.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger ghetufool said...

beautiful narrative!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home