Tuesday, March 27, 2007

In My Own Language



Judge not, lest you be judged.

As an artist, I often feel mis-understood. I too have my own language, my own way of interacting with my surroundings.

It is not imperative that others understand, however, it helps to be accepted, even when understanding is not present.

2 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

Artistic more than autistic. Extremely moving. I recognise these traits in myself too, but I am inhibited (a little) in pursuing them. The rest of us are as it were magnetised to form ourselves into the culture of the non-autistic, where communicating with one another, socialising, are given undue priority.

Thanks for presenting such a thought-provoking peep into a different world.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Charles Bergeman said...

To others it appears that I am daydreaming, or not paying attention.

I will doodle endlessly during meetings covering an entire page or more with small detailed drawings.

I sometimes go long periods of time without speaking, simply observing what goes on around me.

I have incredible spurts of energy, when a creative vision overtakes me. I feel a strong desire to execute the vision as quickly as possible, while it is fresh in my mind.

I really loved the moment when the girl was looking out the window at a flag waving in the wind. She was immitating it with her hand.

There is something about wind. The way it sounds, feels and the smells it brings with it. The way it can touch you, push you, even take your breath away.

Her immitation of the flag, expressed this understanding. As if she was the wind.

As you can see, with words I often, jump around, as things occur to me.

My mind works this way too. I may appear to others to be disjointed, confused, or lack focus.

But to me, it is simply that I do not want the moment to pass without taking notice.

Later, upon reflection, the things that appeared to be random, come together in my mind and form a picture.

More complete than before, and new. It is these times of relfection, that brew the bursts of energy that create.

These small windows we call blogs allow us to peak at one another. After getting a few looks over time, we think we know each other.

We have neat categories to place people in.

Theists, and non-theists, republicans and democrats, americans, europeans.

Since because we may know people we have placed in that category, we think we know them.

We are wrong. We see what we want to see. Expect nothing more than our bias will allow.

Sometimes we are surprised to find that there is more. Just like the artistic girl, there is usually more than meets the eye.

I like surprises, and routinely look for them.

That is why I listen instead of speak, or doodle without purpose, in order to see what the random generation of images reveals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home