Wacky Birds in San Rafael
This has been going on since the end of last year here in San Rafael.
I remember watching the same kind of behavior when I worked downtown in San Francisco.
One night just before Christmas I recall hearing a strange sound one evening as I was getting into my car. I went to investigate and I realized I was hearing the sound of 1000s of birds in the Eucilyptus trees.
It was very impressive and although loud, it had a calming effect on me.


4 Comments:
The contrast of tiny (fragile) creatures becoming this massive force of nature is awesome. The connection to the cemetary adds a creepy level for me because my first experience was where Nova Albion views the mortuary, coming out from TLHS, with Esther.
when I took my first LSD trip in 1972 I watched rooks in a churchyard at twilight flying high above their nests, and seeing clearly that in their cawing they were talking to one another: this one's beak opened and the sound came out, that one's beak opened to speak in reply. I so much wanted to understand what they were saying.
Here, the birds migrate south at certain seasons, and fly in ritual ways on certain days as they get ready to go on this huge and dangerous journey, which some of them will not survive.
How do birds avoid hitting one another when they fly in such swarms? WHat kind of communication and fellow-feelng do they have? Not just birds, but cows, sheep, horses and pigs too? When they are adult they seem so boring, just munching or rooting: but in their "childhood" and "teenage" phases, they gambol and play and form gangs, and flirt and so forth. I believe they have a soul life and experience a sense friendship etc though in their adulthood we can hardly detect it.
My Uncle and Cousin live on farms that are next to each other and share a property line.
The are many acres and include a large wooded area behind them.
When I visit we take long walks around the farms and they tell me all about the animals they have as well as the wild birds and other creatures that populate the land.
They see the day to day activities of nature and are much more "tuned in". They can relate things about the goings on that we casual observers miss.
I always enjoy these times so very much and I look forward to doing it again this summer when I go home to visit.
the birds here do similar things.
imagine some beings looking down on hoards of humans driving into the city each day at astonishingly high rates of speed only seperated by a yellow line painted on the road.
we know whay we don`t hit eachother don`t we?
Post a Comment
<< Home