Friday, February 02, 2007

Technology is great...when it's working

I just finished recovering from a hardware problem with my computer.

I have a high end machine with lot's of add-on cards, drives, etc. I had added a few small peripherals, and ran great for a while. Then all of a sudden - POW - the computer shuts down.

I thought the power supply was dead. I tested it, it tested out ok. Then I thought, crap, it's the motherboard. But no, after removing all the cards (expect the video card) and disconnecting the USB, and other ports, along with all but the hard drive containing the operating system, the machine started up.

Well, after much analysis and testing, I concluded that it was indeed the power supply, I had simply added more to the box than the supply could provide.

So, now I have a 1000 watt power supply.

I am more of a software guy than a hardware guy, but I have had to learn enough to maintain my equipment over the years, and it has been interesting.

While I was without my computer I took the opportunity to do some painting. I have not done that in a while, it was nice. Relaxing and theraputic. I am fullfilling a request by my Dad's older brother (80+ years old) to send him 2 small and 1 large painting in return for some of his poems.

He has already fullfilled his end of the bargain. When I finish I will post a scan of the 1st small painting that is currently in progress.

2 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

I took my computer to the shop a while ago because it wouldn't boot up and they replaced the power supply, and cleaned out the dust. Oddly the original problem of not booting up was not solved, so it left me wondering. But I have a workaround for that now.

What you say about being deprived of the computer (or any kind of routine) and being thereby pushed into some other activity rings bells for many of us, I am sure.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

looking forward to seeing that painting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home