Monday, March 12, 2007

Vision for the Future





To influence change you must have a vision. One that appeals to others and has sufficient value to a large number of people so that they are motivated to spread that influence.



It is not sufficient to be dissatisfied. Being dissatisfied is a human trait. We are never satisfied, if we are, we are dead.



An on-line forum is fine for defining the vision, and gaining a common understanding with others as to the value of that vision. However, you might also try it out on people you interact with in your community.



You should not take feedback as negative. If you feel strongly enough about wanting to influence change, you should not shy away from critics. There will be many.



In spite of being dissatisfied, we are also resistant to change. Funny though, how we can't live without the last wave of changes, but fear the next wave. It's just how we are.



Oppressive governments or societies are no excuse either. Many of the worlds most positive changes came from people who were at first unassuming or even unappealing to the masses.



The vision is what needs to be articulated and presented in an influential way. Use the media, the internet, whatever you want, once the vision becomes compelling enough to gain momentum. The wave will carry it the rest of the way.



If the vision has legs that is.

3 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

I hope you will do your bit to propagate your vision, Charles. But isn't it simpler than this? Is it not a question of following one's own enthusiasm? Shouldn't I just go where I want to go and stop looking over my shoulder to see whether others are following me?

What if everyone were to influence change in the way you suggest? Well it would be a weary world where everyone is a leader and no one has time to be a follower, or vice versa.

I don't think about influencing change. I know that as a human being I am part of the All. I change. The All changes. Do I wish to influence beyond my own weight? No need to bother. Those who are the most influential never seek to be influential, but just to be themselves.

This definition rules out most politicians. So be it. I am not speaking about vermin.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Charles Bergeman said...

Yves,

This was actually a response to a post in another forum. The gist of which was "I am tired of hearing everyone complain about this and that, why don't we get together and change things instead of complaining about them".

My response was intended to ferret out whatever his vision for change was. I assume he had one, and that he was passionate about it.

Some people are driven toward some kind of dream that they need help to accomplish. If they dream big, it may take many people.

There are plenty of examples throughout history where passionate people with vividly expressed and popular dreams were able to influence change or bring into existence things that were previously thought impossible.

My vision for the future is currently incomplete. I am still dreaming up bits of it. I may never finish, but it does require cooperation of others.

I have kept a list of people I will call upon when I think I am ready to start. People who show signs of sympathy or understanding when I give them glimpses of my dreams.

Some feel the need to convince people, I find it more reasonable to seek out those who are already convinced as it is their nature to agree.

Birds of a feather so to speak. I see no reason to force my ideals on someone else.

Perhaps, when others who are not convinced, see the dream become reality, they will find some common ground.

Often, it is not really change, but acknowledgement of what is. And once acknowledged, it is better understood and utilized.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Ian V Mulder said...

Thanks for the clarification and I wish you well in the endeavour!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home