Some have asked, am I Atheist or Agnostic?

The way I see it, gods have been created by human imagination in order to help people understand things they have yet to pin down in an unambiguous way. Religions appear to be designed to fill the void that reason cannot fill, or to address issues where it’s followers refuse to apply reason.
I have come to terms with a spiritual perspective that I feel a non-believer can hold. I have concluded that we are an assembly of parts. When we are no longer animate, we decompose, and we are no longer able to hold our form. Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust. This accounts for the physical part of our being. No big debate here. Even theists will likely agree.
It would appear that where I part ways with the theistic proposition of spirits, is in the way individuals retain some earthly, or even other-worldly presence after death. I sense we are born on a moving train set in motion by our ancestors. To the extent that individuals had a role in the construction, maintenance and plotting the course of that train, their “spirits” live on. Individually, we have some small control over our own destiny, and through acts of courage, intelligence and persistence, we can make small shifts in the course for others. But the momentum of the train will continue to drive all of us forward in some way, as we all build from the same foundation.
Beyond this concept, the idea of an all powerful being, or consciousness, whatever you want to call it, is less evident. I believe in the power of all of us combined, as I just described, and that there is no way for us to escape the influence of our own history, human nature or the other natural influences. But I cannot attribute that to what people call a God, or any super-natural influence.
To call ones self agnostic, is to apparently remain open to the idea that a super-natural influence could exist. The problem with this idea, like so many other super-natural explanations, is that once it is revealed, and understood, it can no longer be called super-natural. We would then have some kind of explanation for it’s existence and some understanding of it’s nature. Many things may be possible, that we don’t currently have any evidence to support. Like the flying teapot, I see no value in pursuing these ideas.
A lullaby may comfort a child who is restless, a mythical story may entertain us, or reveal some interesting aspect of human nature, but they need not be taken literally in order to achieve their purpose.
I don’t need myths, or deities to make sense of the world, nor to have a “spiritual” connection with it. As long as I have a feel for my place in the world, and the role I have carved out for myself, I am satisfied. Which is not to say that I cannot be entertained or otherwise touched by mythical tales. I enjoy a good work of fiction as much as the next guy.
Which also touches on another aspect of my views on spirituality. The Arts. For centuries, artists have touched people in a way that nature or science cannot. Artists can reveal truth through fiction or representations of the world that provide perspective that cannot easily be achieved in other ways. We are sensitive, emotional beings. Dry science cannot always satisfy our needs when it comes to the big questions. We need outlets for our imagination, to display our sensitivity to the world around us. In so far as we are able to touch others with prose, music, paint, or sculpture, we need that kind of interaction.
I think many look to a fictional God, and the myths surrounding God to find a means of expressing themselves or gaining some common understanding of what they are experiencing in the world with others. Where their education has failed them they can find answers in religious teachings, where their community has failed to accept them, they can find acceptance in religious communities. Artistic expression can fill this void, along with social acceptance of their art. However, art can do it honestly, without the cover of religious dogma. And art does not provide a security blanket. Cruel criticism of your most personal thoughts can be the result. While religion has it’s method of dealing with those who express ideas and feelings that are contrary to their teachings, society has no set of rules for criticizing art.
At least with religion, you have some idea where their coming from, and you can predict a negative response to certain things before they are spoken. You can even do things to please th religious community by giving them what they expect. With art there is much more risk involved. However, I would argue that the process is more honest, the resulting dialogue more revealing of our true nature, and the end product is more constructive.
In the end, I say I am an atheist, but I’m not mad about it. I understand why people go for religion and wish to believe in a God, or leave open the possibility that there might be one. But I find no need to discuss the possibility of a God, as I see plenty to stand in awe of without it. The universe is full of wonder, and we humans have a unique ability to see, appreciate and understand it. There is plenty to see and do without giving the idea of God a second thought. And I do not see any value in examining the possibility, in favor of other pursuits, as I have seen no evidence to support it, and I think it is highly unlikely that I ever will.
For those who would argue that we have not established meaning in our lives without religion, or leaving open the possibility that there may be a God, I can only say that the universe is collectively a force we all have to reckon with. If you choose to view it as God, then so be it. I prefer to try and see it how it really is, as best I can, without trying to supply an other-worldly explanation for things I cannot understand.
I do wish more could dispel their notions of God or their belief in things metaphysical, as it would remove a veil that distorts reality and shifts people away from meaningful pursuits. Generally I deal with people who hold such beliefs by attempting to get them to see the constructive ways of dealing with such concepts using the methods that I have described above. We can all share a belief in something bigger than ourselves if we start from a foundation of facts we can all agree on, we accept our role in the big picture, and realize our limitations. We have no ability to alter the things that are bigger than ourselves by defining them to suit our needs, they are what they are. We can only try and understand what we can, and make the best of our opportunity to improve things for future generations.
In doing so, our “spirit” will live on.


7 Comments:
Religions are supplements for those who don't get enough spirituality in their diets.
So the next question seems to be,
When does organization (religions) become destructive of something natural?
I like how you have confronted that conflict for yourself.
Brad4d, I like your succinct comment. I will now read Charles' piece. Thanks!
Totally agree with your first paragraph.
But not when you talk about the supernatural. Yes, you and I could prune down our acknowledged reality until it fits with some natural explanation, but we’d just be robbing ourselves.
I think you are trying to sit on a rationalist high horse here, Charles. There is a world of spiritual and religious feeling, out there, and all you have to do is understand it, sympathise with it. You don’t have to become victim to it yourself.
It is only in rare circumstances that people are browbeaten into religious belief, even as children. Thought is free. Nobody, even those who believe the Bible is literally true, does more than pick and choose what he wants to believe.
The manipulation aspect is bad of course, when it is less than subtle, but again people are drawn to it, perhaps to externalise an inner sense of guilt and bring it under control.
From what I pick up, religion in USA is very strange and excessive. A lot of this is exploitation by pastors for their own enrichment and power, it seems to me, or other “ungodly” motivations.
I don’t believe in god any more than you do. But I am deeply interested in the manifestations of spirituality in any genuine and untainted form, if such exists outside the hearts of individuals.
Vincent,
I'm sorry you felt I was trying to "sit on a rationalist high horse". It was certainly not my intention.
In fact, I was trying to express my own identification with what people call spirituality and how it manifests itself in my way of thinking.
I do understand why so may reach out to religion and other forms of supernatural explanations for the things they have encountered.
My "rational" perspective does not discount the desire we all have to understand, and feel connected to something bigger than ourselves.
We all create ripples in the big pond. Some are more sensitive to them than others, and we appear to have different explanations for their cause. In the end we each must come to terms with our role in that ecology and play that role as best we can.
That is all I am trying to do. I believe that is the same motivation others have when they choose to view things through the lens of religion or with the assistance of the supernatural.
Each of us are capable of glimpsing that elusive truth on occasion, but we interpret it differently based on our point of view. Hopefully we can understand that we are speaking of the same truth, regardless of our perspective.
It is what separates us in this understanding that concerns me. I am willing to see things from the theists perspective (Sometimes I am not offered a choice), I see far less reciprocal understanding.
This, more than any other condition, is the reason I wish for more to drop the veil of deceit that religion and supernatural beliefs, even if it is only briefly, to allow for common ground to be established.
I hope I was not too crude in my criticism, Charles. Your sympathy with spirituality did come out a bit.
It is difficult from over here to appreciate the nature of the irritation with religion that emanates from many over in the States, because as I may have hinted, over in the States there seems to be a very peculiar sickness going on, connected with religion, something that isn't going on here.
I can't think of a case in which I am being confronted by anyone by excesses of religion here in UK, either face to face or on media. I listen quite a bit to religious programmes on BBC Radio 4, and also "Thought for the Day", a daily 5-minute "God-slot" as it's known in the trade. The various religions are given their fair share of air-time, though on Sunday it is Christian stuff.
In Jamaica I saw what American evangelists are like on TV (and Caribbean ones too) but there is nothing like that here (unless you sought out an obscure satellite channel).
So I cannot see what your opponents are like, I mean what inspires your "willingness to see things from the theists' perspective" and so on.
But I do like our discussions!
Spirituality.
The word has roots in religion and all things metaphysical. I am uncomfortable using the word to describe things in my own experience due to the stigma attached to the term.
However, I have tried to bridge the gap by relating things in my experience that appear to be derived from the same kernels of thought that drives others to call themselves a "spiritual" person.
I stop short of mystical explanations, which are too ambiguous for my taste. Some feel that they have arrived at a deeper understanding of things through what they refer to as "mystical" or "spiritual" experiences.
I feel they have used ambiguous terms in order to allow their experiences to be re-defined, at will, to fit whatever stance they are trying to defend.
When applied to artistic expression, I am willing to entertain such an approach, as it does provoke thought, which is always a positive thing. In that case, interpretation is invited, part of the process, and an expected outcome.
In artistic expression, I can participate in a process that makes me feel connected to something bigger than myself.
Even if I do not share the results, I have communed with the universe in a way that is unique and separate from the rational, reasoned approach I take to other endeavors.
In the same way I can look upon nature with awe. Experiencing nature can make you feel more connected, and you can have experiences in relationships that some refer to as a "spiritual connection".
I prefer to use terms like "consciousness", "sensitivity" or "awareness" to describe these experiences. These terms have no metaphysical implications. They describe, more accurately, what happens to me when I have these experiences.
I really don't think that using these kinds of terms de-values the experiences in any way. Some people think that using terms like spirituality, elevates the experience to another level, unreachable by a reasoning mind.
I simply don't agree with this. I find that all it does is cloud the picture and reveals only ignorance.
God made me an athiest. I can't argue with his decision.
Post a Comment
<< Home