I ma grateful to you for this because I never before heard the voice of Alan Watts and never realised (directly from listening to his voice) that the man was English, and from a certain background, which we Brits can easily read- "public school educated" (public meaning private of course).
However, I cannot see that the animation was necessary, unless it is to keep the attention of children for whom the little film may have been produced?
After or despite my pernickety comments about the animation and the man's accent, I want to say that the little sermon by Alan Watts is profoundly moving and I may weave it in to a post on my blog. Thanks again.
I know people who knew Alan Watts personally. From what they say he was an angry drunk that was cruel to his family.
Sometimes our illusions of who people really are, based on what we have witnessed, are more valuable to us than the truth. Perhaps it is better to maintain these illusions, when the message they convey is more important than the messenger.
I have several recordings of Alan Watts that I could make available to you if you like.
I was absolutely charmed by this, despite the fact that I AVOID blog clips and videos as if they were plague.
and I enjoyed the animation.
I rarely read poetry, though prose and physical art are life rafts. Perhaps that's why I needed the little 'boost' and humor provided by the animation.
I think I first heard about Alan Watts through Kerouac, Either On the Road or probably more in "The Dharma Bums but he would not have been referred to by his real name in these works of fiction. Anyhow at one point in 1964 I had the idea to go to Japan and study Zen, but the sheer difficulty of that plan put me off and I got married instead. I felt "guided" to do so though the marriage by most measures would be called a failure . . .
So to hear this about Watts - angry drunk etc - is some kind of consolation.
And thanks Hayden for your comments too. You have made me realise that I actually did enjoy the animation too, even though I angrily rejected it on principle as superfluous "dumbing down".
Dumbing down? Do you people really know Jack Keouac? (no offense intended) I had a friend once who visited Jack in his old age in Florida, he had a huge Rebel flag hanging on the wall above his sofa, the sofa on which he entertained guests, he either was, or had become extremely racist and narrow minded in his old age.
But look, I don't fault him, I have read all his works, admire his writing and many of his experiences.
I am not judging him, just saying.
It is like I once said about college professors, mine were mostly drunks and liars and cheats, I knew them personally, drank with them, caroused with them, knew them personally even as I was a student in the school.
Elsewhere I read perhaps the illusion is better than the reality, I don't think so, human is human and trips are trips, better to know then to be fooled, especially if you know yourself and can be merciful and forgiving, understanding the reality of life and the reality of reality.
Thanks Charles, for all your insights and help, I look forward to much more!
7 Comments:
I ma grateful to you for this because I never before heard the voice of Alan Watts and never realised (directly from listening to his voice) that the man was English, and from a certain background, which we Brits can easily read- "public school educated" (public meaning private of course).
However, I cannot see that the animation was necessary, unless it is to keep the attention of children for whom the little film may have been produced?
After or despite my pernickety comments about the animation and the man's accent, I want to say that the little sermon by Alan Watts is profoundly moving and I may weave it in to a post on my blog. Thanks again.
I know people who knew Alan Watts personally. From what they say he was an angry drunk that was cruel to his family.
Sometimes our illusions of who people really are, based on what we have witnessed, are more valuable to us than the truth. Perhaps it is better to maintain these illusions, when the message they convey is more important than the messenger.
I have several recordings of Alan Watts that I could make available to you if you like.
I was absolutely charmed by this, despite the fact that I AVOID blog clips and videos as if they were plague.
and I enjoyed the animation.
I rarely read poetry, though prose and physical art are life rafts. Perhaps that's why I needed the little 'boost' and humor provided by the animation.
It was fresh, and that caught me.
I think I first heard about Alan Watts through Kerouac, Either On the Road or probably more in "The Dharma Bums but he would not have been referred to by his real name in these works of fiction. Anyhow at one point in 1964 I had the idea to go to Japan and study Zen, but the sheer difficulty of that plan put me off and I got married instead. I felt "guided" to do so though the marriage by most measures would be called a failure . . .
So to hear this about Watts - angry drunk etc - is some kind of consolation.
And thanks Hayden for your comments too. You have made me realise that I actually did enjoy the animation too, even though I angrily rejected it on principle as superfluous "dumbing down".
Dumbing down? Do you people really know Jack Keouac? (no offense intended) I had a friend once who visited Jack in his old age in Florida, he had a huge Rebel flag hanging on the wall above his sofa, the sofa on which he entertained guests, he either was, or had become extremely racist and narrow minded in his old age.
But look, I don't fault him, I have read all his works, admire his writing and many of his experiences.
I am not judging him, just saying.
It is like I once said about college professors, mine were mostly drunks and liars and cheats, I knew them personally, drank with them, caroused with them, knew them personally even as I was a student in the school.
Elsewhere I read perhaps the illusion is better than the reality, I don't think so, human is human and trips are trips, better to know then to be fooled, especially if you know yourself and can be merciful and forgiving, understanding the reality of life and the reality of reality.
Thanks Charles, for all your insights and help, I look forward to much more!
Loved it! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home